Neurofeedback helps YOUR brain work more efficiently
During a neurofeedback session, saline soaked electrodes will be placed on your head so that the frequencies of your brain can be read by the neurofeedback machine. You will hear a sound when your brain is doing the right thing. As you hear more sounds, your brain will be training itself. You don’t have to DO anything. Just sit and listen. If you suffer from anxiety, your brain will learn to be calm; if you can’t focus, your brain will learn to concentrate better; if you have trouble sleeping, or have chronic pain, neurofeedback can help with all of that and more. For more information, contact Maureen McCarren, Senior EAP counselor, at email@example.com or 410.328.0412.
How to Maintain Brain Health
As we age, we need to exercise our brains in various ways to keep them sharp. Some ways to do that are:
- Exercise -especially aerobic exercise such as running, walking, playing basketball, dancing, hiking, swimming, and tennis.
- Eat right-vegetables, fruits, protein and be sure to drink enough water. Stay away from anything white-sugar, white rice, white potatoes. Remember, the darker the color, the more nutrients in the fruit or vegetable. For instance, eat more blueberries and dark green leafy vegetables.
- Challenge your brain to work in novel ways-take a different route to work, learn something new on the computer, learn a new language (no matter how long it takes you!) start a new hobby or craft, take a class, use your non-dominant hand to brush your teeth, learn how to play a musical instrument, etc.
- Explore new places or cultures; try different food and possibly learn how to make it.
- Surround yourself with stimulating people and situations, go to museums, concerts, sporting events, etc.